September 10, 2012
Phase I will be at
Hilton Austin Airport Hotel
September 24-25, 2012
The purpose of the Career and Technical Education Leadership Academy is to provide sustainable, intensive professional development opportunities that meet the needs of new Career and Technical Education (CTE) administrators, facilitators and counselors.
The objectives of the CTE Leadership Academy are to:
- Develop participants' leadership capabilities;
- Promote the effective implementation of quality CTE programs that promote student success in academics and career and technical education, increase graduation rates and reduce drop out rates;
- Reinforce understanding of classroom CTE administrative policies and procedures, including legal responsibilities and ethical standards;
- Increase understanding of the new organizational structure for CTE based on the 16 career clusters;
- Provide resources for implementing effective career preparation learning opportunities;
- Promote effective business and industry partnerships and effective practices to improve parental and community involvement;
- Identify and support practices to recruit and retain quality CTE instructors; and,
- Identify and promote outstanding educational programs and effective practices in CTE, particularly those that integrate coherent and rigorous academic content for reading/writing, mathematics, science and social studies into CTE curricula so students master academic skills while developing technical skills in high skill, high wage or high demand occupations.
About the Academy
The Career and Technical Education Leadership Academy is sponsored by the Texas Education Agency and is implemented by Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi. The Academy is designed to provide new CTE directors, counselors and administrators with the professional knowledge and skills needed to be a CTE leader within their home district. This nine-month professional development program is conducted in three phases starting in September and ending in June.
Phase I: Fall CTE Leadership Symposium
Two-day symposium that provides participants with a strong foundation for understanding and implementing CTE administrative policies and procedures. The Fall Symposium is held in Austin in September concurrently with the New CTE Teachers Conference sponsored by Texas Education Agency.
Phase II: Spring Professional Development Activities
Online modules, action-learning projects, and other instructional resources provide CTE Leadership Academy participants opportunities to apply what they learn to real situations.
Phase III: Summer CTE Leadership Symposium
The CTE Leadership Academy concludes with a Summer Symposium where participants share promising practices and lessons learned, as well as gain additional information on how to be effective CTE leaders. The Summer Symposium is held in Austin in June.
Featured Speakers and Topics: Speakers include Texas Education Agency staff, Regional Education Service Center (ESC) CTE Specialists, and CTE district administrators and counselors.
- Federal Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Improvement Act of 2006
- State laws and rules for Career and Technical Education
- State and Federal Funding for Career and Technical Education
- eGrants Perkins Applications
- PBMAS - Performance Based Monitoring Analysis System
- Student Attendance Accounting Handbook, Section V Career and Technical Education
- PEIMS - Public Education Information Management System
- Globalization, Workforce Trends, Generation Learning Styles
- Student Industry Certifications
- Career Clusters, Programs of Study, Tech Prep, College Connections, and Using Regional Data to Drive Education Decisions
- Integrating Career and Technical Education and core academics
- Leadership, Effective Partnerships, and
- Other topics based on the needs of the Academy participants
Who Should Attend
Persons whose responsibilities include the implementation or overseeing of Career and Technical Education at the district level and who have less than four years experience in CTE administration or counseling:
- CTE Directors/Coordinators
- Directors of federal grants
- Other school district or open-enrollment charter school personnel
Those considering the CTE Leadership Academy must be committed to leadership roles in Career and Technical Education and be prepared to participate in all three phases of the program.
Why You Should Attend
Attend this program and return to the district with a deeper understanding of career and technical education in Texas. Learn to be a leader who promotes the success of all students by:
- Facilitating the development, articulation, implementation and vision for Career and Technical Education that is shared and supported by local school community;
- Advocating, nurturing and sustaining a district culture and instructional program conducive to student learning and professional growth;
- Ensuring management of CTE program, operations and resources for a safe, efficient and effective learning environment;
- Collaborating with parents and community members;
- Mobilizing community resources and partnerships; and
- Acting with integrity, fairness and in an ethical manner.
The Application Process
Participation in the CTE Leadership Academy is limited to 50 participants. Participants are selected based on the following criteria:
- Need: applicant is currently working in a district/campus and responsible for CTE programs;
- Experience: the background and previous experience of the applicant;
- Support: how much local support is available for the applicant; and,
- Benefits: the impact the applicant's leadership training will have on students, parents, teachers, and other stakeholders.
Those considering the CTE Leadership Academy should be prepared for a rigorous program of study, self-reflection and practical application.
Tuition and Fees - $250
Includes all instructional programming and materials, plus:
- 2 nights lodging at Fall Symposium hotel
- 1 night lodging at Summer Symposium hotel
- Working lunches during the Fall and Summer Symposiums
Applicants will be invoiced for the $250 registration fee upon acceptance into the CTE Leadership Academy. Payment will be due within 30 days of acceptance.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]Friday, 17-Aug-2012 10:39:48 CDT[an error occurred while processing this directive]